Monday, June 15, 2009

I Dream of Fortune

Yesterday, during my routine walk around Shoreline Park, I prayed for peace and good fortune. I prayed from the heart. I was admittedly a little sad because I have not had much luck job hunting. Then, last night I had a dream with a fortune teller. I rarely ever wake up being able to remember my dreams, which makes this dream even more extra special. Here is my dream:

All the sudden, my friend Gwen appeard and led me to the beach to see a fortune teller. The fortune teller was sitting behind a small table, nestled in a small beach-hut made of sticks, which was standing precariously over the white sand. When we entered the hut, I told both Gwen and the the fortune teller that I had no money, but they both said that I shouldn't worry about the lack of funds, and that I should just have my fortune read. (Even in my dreams I am unemployed!) The fortune teller was an old lady, with brown skin that had absorbed a lot of sun over the years, and a wide mouth. She handed me a deck of cards that I have never seen before.  She told me to cut the deck and then pick three cards. I started shuffling the cards a lot; she got impatient and told me to just pick three cards already. So, I quickly picked three and, without looking at them, handed them to her. 

First Card: The fortune teller looked at me and told me to eat vegetables. She told me to eat lots of beautiful vegetables. She didn't explain why I should eat vegetables, but she said I should make sure to pick beautiful ones. To make her point, she went to her kitchen and brought back a gigantic onion, and a big celery and dumped them in front of me. "Like This" she said, smiling proudly over her big, unblemished vegetables. 

Second Card: As soon as the fortune teller touched the second card, I was distracted by the sight of my grandmother swimming in the ocean. Nana Teo is my grandmother from my mother's side. She loved the beach. Nana Teo was born, raised, and lived her life to the end in a little beach town called Carupano, in Venezuela. She was a feisty old lady, and she spent a lot of time taking care of me when I was growing up. But, in the dream I felt that she was still alive; I forgot that she had died. I could see her, clearly, swimming and relaxing on the beach. She looked beautiful. Every now and then she would look over to where I was, and then continue swimming. Nana Teo ignored the fortune teller. The fortune teller then told me that my grandmother was "still around", that she came "back and fourth" and spent her time in the other realm "with Nostradamus". I understood that Nana Teo was looking over me, maybe even protecting me. 

Third Card: As soon as the fortune teller saw this card she smiled, and proclaimed "You will have a boy". 

Then, I abruptly woke up from my dream to the sound of crows squawking loudly next to my bedroom window. I currently have a crow problem. They are nesting close to my bedroom window and they squawk annoyingly at early hours of the morning, throughout the day, and until night time. The crows could not have squawked at a more inopportune time, as I was about to ask the fortune teller to elaborate on the third card. Although, in retrospect, maybe the fortune teller knew the crows were going to wake me up shortly, which is why she hurried me when I was shuffling the cards at the beginning. I guess I'll never know.

No comments: